Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gratitude Post #14

Today I am grateful that Dillan gets up on his own for early morning Seminary.  When Dillan was in middle school, he would wait until the last possible minute to get out of bed and go to school.  That minute was 7:30.  So generally from 7:00-7:30, I would start with gently waking him up, calling his name, opening his blinds, then singing a little diddy about waking up, then clapping my hands loudly, and finally as a crescendo, singing in an operatic voice that he needed to get up that instant or he would be late.  Once I smacked him on the behind with a book to encourage him to get out of bed.  But it didn't stop there.  If he was out of bed late and he went out the door without his lunch, on a couple of occasions, I chased him down the street when I was in my robe.  It was part of my plan to embarrass him into obedience. 
So, since we don't live in Zion or Zion Jr in Gilbert, AZ, he was signed up for early morning Seminary.  I was D.R.E.A.D.I.N.G. it.  Did you hear me:????  DREADING it.  Which was not at all how I wanted to start his seminary career.  I told him that he needed to be up by 5:45 am so that he could make it by 6:15.  I didn't sleep well knowing how I needed to do my motivational get your behind out of bed done early.  And I had things to do.  I didn't want to mess around.  Imagine my surprise when I heard him taking a shower at 5 AM.  You heard me right!  He got himself out of bed and was taking a shower waaaaaaay earlier than I thought. This has been going on since the middle of August.  He slowed down his pace a little bit and doesn't wake up until 5:30, but he wants to be out the door at 6 am, which means we get to the church at 6:07.  He prides himself on being the first one there.  I have a theory on this.  It is for a girl,  He swears it isn't, but I still have my suspicions. 

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say, it helps to have cute girls to motivate...
    and we live across the street from the church and one of my boys is pretty much consistently late. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete