Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Early Morning Blog

Okay, it really isn't early as I have been up for an hour and a half already (I'm turning into Mom), but Blake and I are the only ones awake and he is stacking his Fruit Loops in an array of patterns, so I thought this would be the perfect time to blog about our Halloween Miracle as it is known in our house. Every year, our ward and the Paradise Valley ward combine to have a Trunk or Treat, which is vehicles parked in the parking lot, trunks open, and another venue for free candy to be passed out. That is except for one of our ward's dentists who passes out toothbrushes. And as a tradition, there is chili and cornbread. I, of course, whip up a batch of my championship chili for members to enjoy and humbly serve it. But last year tragedy struck. Kevin brought the pot home with a different ladle than mine. This would have been okay if the ladle had been better than mine, much like the comment that Lavell Edwards made in the Mt. Timpanogos temple when Jake and Meredith were sealed and he said "If you can't come out of here with a better pair of shoes than you went in with, something's wrong with you" (for those of you unaware, you have to remove your shoes in the waiting room and put them in a shoe rack when inside the temple). I guess he felt that you should feel free to replace your shoes with something better. ANYWAY, this ladle was sub par at best. It looked at least twenty years old and mine was a blue silicone ladle that I loved. There was no way that I was going to get that back. Was I supposed to call up every person that had delivered chili to get my ladle back? Seemed like too much effort. So this year, made a different chili (I am NOT a one trick pony), but I was unable to attend the Trunk or Treat due to work obligations. Kevin joked that maybe my ladle would show up. Yeah, right. Somebody was loving that ladle and wouldn't take it to a function where it could get misplaced. So you can imagine my disbelief, when he brought the pot home with a ladle inside. He had not taken a ladle, so someone had put one in my chili for him (you gotta help a single husband out, right, sisters) and LO and BEHOLD, it was the same ladle! We stood there shocked. It was too good to be true. If that ladle can make it's way home, so can Joe. The door's open, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment